Saturday, March 15, 2014

Waiting Room

Rupert and Gwen sit in a waiting room, reading magazines. 

Rupert: Is it someone you know or is it you that’s dying. 
Gwen: Me.
Rupert: I was thinking that but I thought it might be a case of me bringing my own bias in cause I’m dying too.
Gwen: (laughs) That happened to me with this really old man who I saw in here the other day, I was like, “are you dying?” He was really offended. Turns out he was one of the doctors.
Rupert: (laughs) What’s killing you?
Gwen: Cancer.
Rupert: Same.
Gwen: (laughs) it’s getting everyone these days.
Rupert: Yeah, sometimes I wish I hadn’t been diagnosed. Then when I died people would just be like, “He died. Cause he was human. Cause that’s what humans do.”
Gwen: Instead its “He lost his battle to cancer.” Which really only adds to death the shame of defeat in battle.
Rupert: You got any relatives?
Gwen: The usual. Two parents. Four grandparents. 
Rupert: Here with you?
Gwen: Dead. All dead.
Rupert: I’m sorry. That’s a lot of dead relatives. I guess it’s comforting knowing you’ll see them in heaven.
Gwen: Yeah. It is. But I’m also an atheist.
Rupert: Me too. I just never know what to say to people.
Gwen: I always ask their religious beliefs and mould my answer based on that, “Like, oh, shit, well, at least your dead dad gets to meet Allah.”
Rupert: You ask right after they tell you they just lost someone?
Gwen: No. Usually I sit in silence for a few minutes. Out of respect.
Rupert: I’m sorry. I should have done that.
Gwen: That’s alright. But yeah. Probably.
Rupert: How long do you have left to live?
Gwen: Doctor said six weeks. I said eight. To fuck with him. He got all nervous thinking I misunderstood him. It was pretty funny. He's a nice guy. Always asks how I'm doing, and I'm always like, "Dying. I'm dying."
Rupert: (laughs) Hey for all you know, you might have two years left. They told me six months. It's been eight. I am riding the gravy train!
Gwen: I think about marriage a lot. I never got to get married. I never got to have kids. 
Rupert: You also never got to have grandkids.
Gwen: I also never got to have grandkids. 
Rupert: Hey, me neither, but on the flipside some grandkids murder their grandparents. 
Gwen: Yeah! I heard that story too! And with an axe! Pffff So fucked up. 
Rupert: So fucked up.
Gwen: I'm glad I don't have grandkids. 
Rupert: Hey, do you want to get a drink after we both get done...you know...seeing the doctor? 
Gwen: (smiles) I'd love that. Do you drink bourbon? I only drink bourbon. 
Rupert: Not really. Is that a problem?
Gwen: Yeah. 
Rupert: ...
Gwen: ...
Rupert: ...
Gwen: I'm joking. 
Rupert: (smiles) I was about to change my drinking habits for you. 
Gwen: How sweet. 
Rupert: But then I remembered how little time I have left to live and was like fuck that. 
Gwen: (laughs) 


A lull. They both look down at their magazines. Rupert looks at Gwen and smiles. Gwen looks up just as Rupert looks down. She smiles and looks back down at her magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment